Quality Area Manager Food Processing & Manufacturing
This position provides technical expertise and leadership to all plant operations for initiatives that serve to develop, implement and enhance quality systems. Particular emphasis will be focused on process control, product & process improvement, quality reporting and recordkeeping, trend analysis and recommended action in accordance with company strategic plans, GFSI, and FDA regulatory requirements.
Additional roles are to serve as a quality systems team member on cross functional teams that support New Product Development and Supply Chain initiatives and at times, lead initiatives that support the Quality Management Strategy.
The successful employee in this role exhibits a desire and discipline to establish a personal development plan that includes technical and personal growth opportunities.
As needed, this role will provide support for quality issues that require immediate attention. In addition, willingness and flexibility to work on various shifts is required.
- It is an essential requirement of the job that the employee have the ability to function in a feedback-rich, team-based environment.
- Employees must possess good interpersonal skills and be compatible with co-workers.
- Collaborates with Engineering and Operations on process, sanitation, and facility designs and modifications.
- Serves as the primary site technical resource for managing the seam integrity program. Conducts trend analysis on all critical double seam dimensions to assure acceptable process capability.
- Represents the plant on Supplier Technical Teams and manages all qualifications for new or modified packaging supplies as well as related cost savings or process improvement projects.
- Provides guidance and direction as appropriate for all inquiries regarding thermal processing at the site. Partners with plant and corporate personnel to stay abreast of any new developments in low acid canning technologies, current equipment improvements, regulations or industry developments.
- Supports the business with periodic quality/food safety related policy and procedural audits and documentation reviews to validate effectiveness of the overall and/or specific portions of BQMS
- Monitors consumer complaints, investigates and communicates with Consumer Relations and others as appropriate.
- Serves as the local authority to facilitate FDA, State and GFSI audits and inquiries
- Stays abreast of all changes within the food industry related to cutting edge tools and technologies.
- Serves as the point person for ensuring all Quality IT systems (e.g. SharePoint, Traksys, ERP) are working appropriately in terms of functionality and data integrity.
CONTINUOUS PROCESS IMPROVEMENT
- Provides technical direction to operations by promoting quality systems excellence instilling program awareness and commitment to zero defect culture.
- Creates systems and educates plant associates on basic SPC tools and techniques to enable real time understanding of each manufacturing unit operation’s capability to meet process standards.
- Utilize TrakSys as a SQC tool on ingredient and sub systems deliveries to assure equipment is within manufacturer’s warranty thus minimize product variation.
- Leads cross functional teams to identify, analyze and implement solutions to manufacturing problems and ensures that corrective & preventive action achieve their primary objective of satisfying the consumer, reducing cost and increasing plant efficiency.
- Leads efforts to eliminate internal or external product failures by ensuring a focus on preventative measures. Serve as a liaison between Plant Operations and RD&I Technical Services in order to resolve any quality systems issues.
- Champions process-related design changes and identifies opportunities to improve existing quality policies and QSOPs to best meet the requirements of an evolving workflow process.
- Serves as the HACCP Team Coordinator and assures the HACCP based Food Quality and Food Safety plans remain effective including the planning and executing of verification and validation activities.
- Serves as a project coordinator between Plant Operations and RD&I commercialization teams in order to drive quality systems excellence during design, start-up and throughout the new product commercialization process.
- Along with the representative from the Augusta facility, co-leads the continuous efforts to standardize quality and food safety systems between the two plants.
- Establishes strong relationships and gains credibility within Supply Chain, RD&I, and other functions of the company.
- Excellent capability in the management and prioritization of multiple projects in order to be flexible to changing business priorities.
- Actively promotes the desired business culture and personifies company values of integrity, responsibilities, trust and caring.
- Manages the Quality Coordinators and Technicians on each shift (e.g. Time Gathering, manages PTO to ensure appropriate staffing on each shift, serves as coach and mentor to help develop individuals).
B.S. Degree in a technical or science discipline required.
Years of Experience
Minimum 5 years relevant experience preferred
Lean Six Sigma black belt and certification as SQF Practitioner or other GFSI recognized highly preferred
An advanced understanding of food processing, equipment and controls, quality systems and food safety management programs with specific expertise in double seaming and low acid canned food regulations
An ability to analyze information and develop and promote process improvement strategies is essential
Capability to lead cross functional teams is also critical for success as is having the ability to juggle multiple and sometimes shifting priorities in an organized manner
Computer skills including Microsoft Office and Web Based programs