New Product Development Manager OTC/Rx Consumer Healthcare
The New Product Development & Innovation Manager is responsible for assisting in identifying opportunities for innovation and new products opportunities. Recommend and implement programs that address these opportunities. Manage the new product development mix (product, pricing, placement and promotion) for mechanical and chemical product opportunities.
Essential Job Functions:
- Develop short term (1-2 year) innovation supporting brand and product strategies for US, Canada and Latam
- Contribute to the creation of a multi-year pipeline that meets business and consumer needs while supporting that brand’s short- and long-term strategies across the spectrum of innovation (including new products, renovation, new packaging, and commercial innovation).
- Develop a profound understanding of Brand strategy, positioning and consumer insights to develop winning, relevant concept and innovation
- Translate consumer insights into differentiated new product ideas
- Understand current market trends to generate breakthrough ideas
- Identify and recommend new targets and business/category opportunities
- Contribute to the development of the annual brand plan/budget and mid-term plan (3-5 year plan) by providing short and mid term innovation plan
- Deliver long and short term financial commitments
- Assist in managing NPD budget, including monthly budget tracking for projects
New Product Development:
- Assist in the managing of the idea generation process to contribute “out of the box” ideas
- Develop concepts for qualitative and quantitative testing
- Develop design briefs to initiate product development on an idea
- Develop and lead each initiative from the Discovery Process up to completing Volumetric/Business Case Approval in which project will be transferred to the base Marketing team
- After project is transferred to the base business team, continue as a team member sharing any information that could strengthen the proposition up to launch stage
- Identify trends and insights that lead to product ideas that uniquely satisfy unmet needs, assessing business potential
- Manage innovation through SAI’s Stage-Gate process providing information necessary at each stage gate for management approval, including development of 5 year P&L and volume forecast
- Utilize appropriate market research to infuse voice of consumer and quantitative metrics into all projects
- Contribute in search and screen process to evaluate trends, internal & external ideas and technologies
- Leadership & Collaboration:
- Partner with R&D on ideation and product development and to create and expand innovation network with global and local R&D resources
- Collaborate with US & Canada Marketing, Global Marketing, Market Research, Sales, Finance, Supply Chain/Manufacturing to develop successful new product ideas and business cases
- Collaborate with other Sunstar regions as appropriate on Global projects
- Manage innovation agency partners
Education, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree required. MBA strongly preferred.
- 3-5 years of CPG marketing/innovation experience.
- Oral care/dental categories preferred.
- Medical device experience a plus.
- Knowledgeable in market research techniques related to new product development and ideation.
- Computer proficiency: Microsoft Office, and Access Project
- Strong strategic thinker
- Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation, and facilitation skills
- Strong problem solving skills