Director of Food Safety Food Processing & Manufacturing
The Director, Food Safety & Regulatory Programs (DFSRP) is responsible for directing all aspects of the Food Safety & Regulatory Programs for The Pictsweet Company (Pictsweet). This requires the following functions:
- Assure that The Pictsweet Company meets Food Safety, Quality, and Legality compliance for FDA FSMA.
- Assure that all Company's Food Safety and Regulatory policies and procedures are followed and maintained.
- Assure that The Company has effective environmental monitoring; testing and control programs for Listeria monocytogenes.
- Assure that The Company has effective sanitation programs for each facility and distribution center.
- Assure that The Company has effective Food Security Systems.
- Conduct internal audits of The Company’s manufacturing facilities and distribution centers.
- Validate that equipment modifications or new equipment can effectively be cleaned and sanitized to a microbial level acceptable to The Company.
- Provide sanitary design recommendations for new and existing equipment and modifications and /or installations of existing/new equipment.
- Performs Routine analysis and resolves consumer/customer complaints, as they relate to food safety. Assist in the implementation of the corrective action with the appropriate plant or facility management personnel.
- Conducts training programs in but not limited to the following; Third Party GFSI audit, Sanitation, Microbiology, Pest Control, Allergen Management, HACCP, GMP, SOP’s, and Internal Auditing.
- Confirm and validate that all training programs associated with Third Party GFSI audit, Sanitation, Microbiology, Pest Control, Allergen Management, HACCP, GMP, SSOP are achieved.
- Assure that The Pictsweet Company maintains its systems and programs in a manner to meet third party audit criteria continually.
- Work in concert with department managers to assure timely and accurate reporting of food safety issues to the VP Technical Services.
- Perform other duties appropriate to the position as requested by the VP Technical Services.
- Developing Others
- Managing Change
- Results Orientation
EXPERIENCE: Must have in depth, up to date knowledge of FSMA, Third Party GFSI audit and understanding of food processing, microbiology, sanitation, HACCP, GMP, and GFSI Standards in general. The director should have technical knowledge of COP and CIP, cleaning and sanitizing chemicals, sanitary design of food processing equipment, & internal auditing of food manufacturing facilities. This is typically gained with 10 years food production, management, & auditing experience.
EDUCATION: Must have an advanced degree in Food Science or related field. The DFSRP must possess an understanding of management/leadership fundamentals and be certified in HACCP & Advanced HACCP, Internal Auditing, Third Party GFSI audit Standards, Food Security & Defense. Certifications in Project Management, Quality Auditing, and Manager of Organizational Excellence are a plus.
SPECIAL SKILLS: Must possess excellent communication skills, verbal and written, Bilingual, English/Spanish a plus. The DFSRP must be computer proficient with spreadsheets and word processing. Must be able to process large volumes of information, make decisions under pressure, and provide leadership in difficult situations. The DFSRP must be a proficient trainer of subordinate personnel. Must be able to develop and mentor subordinate employees for future responsibilities. The DFSRP must work in collegial manner with other departments to accomplish corporate objectives while achieving departmental goals.
Be willing to work flexible hours, including weekends and holiday, travel to company facilities, customers, and suppliers, as directed.