Design Manager (toy & related products) Toys
The Design Manager is both a Manager and Designer and manager within the Global R&D team that is comprised of various disciplines to design/ develop infant toys and baby gear.
This role is responsible for managing concept development for projects, ranging from hard-goods to soft-goods, all the while working in collaboration with other project stakeholders globally to synthesize all interests in the design of projects. In addition to engaging and managing a small design team, contractors, interns, and creative partnerships, the manager acts as creative support for other departments in the company, including contributing to front end ideation in support of new project initiatives.
FUNCTIONS / RESPONSIBILITIES / SKILLS:
- Take new products from initial sketch to mass production; you have the ability to manage several projects simultaneously
- Build on the company’s design style and extrapolate across new products, materials and categories. Establish and articulate elements of brand continuity.
- Work closely with the product development team and management to refine existing products on an ongoing basis to improve functionality, tailor fit, reduce defects, streamline manufacturing, update packaging, and keep design details fresh.
- Develop an intimate familiarity with the existing product line to drive running changes, design updates, performance improvements and line expansion.
- Be creative when it comes to working closely with factories, technicians and vendors to research, experiment products and processes. Further you can handle and maintain timing, deadlines as well as cost targets
- Strong knowledge of materials, prototyping and manufacturing processes.
- Demonstrated ability to apply brand philosophy to product design.
- Bachelor's Degree of Art in Industrial Design, or equivalent combination of experience and education.
Excellent organizational, leadership, management, art direction, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Minimum 3 year of project supervisory experience.
Minimum 2 years managing/directing designers.
- Highest level of proficiency in in 3D software to include Rhino and SolidWorks (or other 3D software program)
- High level proficiency in 2D design and layout; fluent in Adobe creative suite, specifically Illustrator, Photoshop, digital sketching (Sketchbook or other digital rendering (Keyshot) etc.
- Experience in coordination and project management in designing baby gear, toys, cut and sew designs, consumer products with complex mechanisms or safety requirements.