Regional Manager – French Wines Beverages – Adult (Spirits, Beer & Wine)
This exciting new role reports to our Client’s National Director of Imported Wines, and is based in the greater Chicago area. The purpose and mission of this particular division within our Fortune 500 client’s sales team is to attract and retain small production fine wine producers, primarily from Burgundy, and to then offer and place these wines in distribution within select, identified and targeted fine wine accounts throughout the US.
The Region Manager is responsible for managing all of our client’s French Wine sales within the major Metro areas of IL, TX and FL; as well as a few limited areas of other Mid-West States that include WI, MN, IN, MI, MO, OH, LA, AL, KS, KY, MS, OK. The role requires extensive travel. More than 80% of the Region Manager’s time will be spent in the top Metro Markets within IL, TX and FL. Those include Chicago, Dallas, Austin, Houston, Orlando, Tampa and South Florida.
The Regional Manager will be directly responsible for managing all sales, sales execution, distributor management and market development of the brands in the French Fine Wine portfolio within the assigned territory. Although the territory encompasses the States of IL, TX and FL; the Region Manager will focus primarily on the major Metro markets within these three States including include Chicago, Dallas, Austin, Houston, Orlando, Tampa and South Florida.
The Region Manager will call on the top Fine Wine On- Premise accounts and Fine Wine Shops in each market; and will also call on our Client’s Distributors. The Distributor calls will be very targeted, and will involve meeting only with each wholesaler’s Fine Wine Teams and not the entire distributorship. Our client has additional leadership in each State who will handle the broader, day to day Distributor Management so that the Region Manager is free to focus solely on the Imported French Wine portfolio. The Region Manager will spend 70% or more of his or her time selling; and only 25% to 30% managing distributors.
- Directly call on accounts and create relationships with those accounts on behalf of our Client.
- Manage execution of sales, distribution, depletions, budgets and distributor goals.
- Distributor goals are developed internally and then with distributor principals and management. Once the distributor plan has been finalized, it becomes the Regional Managers responsibility to communicate the plan to distributor principals and management and then as deep into the distributor organizations as is relevant.
- The Region Manager will be responsible for individual state distributor management and execution of our client’s sales and financial plans and budgets. This includes holding the distributor accountable and responsible for meeting or exceeding goals and implementing market plans effectively, effectively and in a timely fashion.
- Manage all regional and individual state financials (P&L), allocations, budgets, distribution plans, depletions, pricing, inventory, brand equity and profit analysis, inventory in conjunction with those plans established by our client’s Imported Wine Sales Director.
- The position is supported by a Business Operations Manager and Analyst.
- Develop, implement, manage and execute Brand programs and tactical brand initiatives, which will be prepared and executed in a manner aligned and consistent with company and CRU philosophy and positioning.
- Ensure brand propositions and unique brand attributes are communicated in a positive and innovative way.
- Provide training to and assist in developing effective sales techniques with Distributor Partners.
- Utilize product and business knowledge to educate Distributor Representatives and Accounts to increase product distribution.
- Keep abreast of new competitive developments and provide feedback to Sales and Marketing teams. Monitor and evaluate the various performance indicators and identify opportunities to further leverage our client’s brands within the overall market.
- Provide exceptional customer service to accounts, conducting specialty wine tastings, events, sponsorships, promotional activities, wait staff training and education and trade shows where available and legal.
- Work closely with the Strategic and National Chain Account Managers to ensure he/she is familiar with national programs and support with accurate pricing and inventory.
- Educate and motivate the distributor partner sales force to profitably execute the sales distribution, depletion and financial plans as outlined by our client’s Fiscal Year plan and the supporting sales planning/targeting documents.
- Manage all Imported Fine Wine on/off premise activities and programming within his/her designated accounts & distributors to ensure maximum market penetration, brand awareness and sell-through.
- Be capable of and effectively develop and maintain positive relationships with accounts, distributor management and distributor team members, including distributor sales representatives on behalf of our client with the specific goals of executing the sales, distribution, depletion and financial plans of the Imported French Wine portfolio.
- This will be accomplished by utilizing strong relationship building skills, agile people management skills, along with programming capabilities and experience.
- Able to travel extensively up to 80%.
- Outstanding knowledge of and passion for high-end specialty wines (Advanced certification and or a familiarity with Burgundy and Burgundian wines is a plus)
- 5-10 years of experience in the wine/spirits industry, with focus on Luxury products.
- Familiarity with at least one third of the assigned region distributor network and key accounts.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong and proven capabilities in the areas of reading people and understanding how to motivate individuals to execute our client’s sales, financial goals, plans and needs.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office, specifically Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of Performance Measurement systems preferred (ex: Diver, QlikView).
- Valid Driver’s License.