Dir. Product Development – Durables Confections
|The Product Design Director will lead new product design process for cosmetic (line extensions / packaging) and evolutionary (new product development - intuitive) product development. Provide leadership and technical support for research and development of quality consumer products to meet the business requirements as provided by Product Management. Work collaboratively cross-functionally to deliver great consumer informed products, on time and on budget.
Creatively develop solutions on new product design, features and ease of use while keeping costing and pricing as a key consideration
--Reports to the VP Design & Innovation.
--Travel includes domestic trade shows (not overseas).
- 7-10 years of consumer packaged goods experience in product management and/or product development. Keen focus on understanding the consumer.
- Experienced working with Asian manufacturing partners.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to lead, interact, focus, resolve conflict and drive consensus among individuals from a variety of disciplines; strong diplomatic skills.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Confident relying on your judgment and past experience to plan and accomplish goals.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong project manager skills.
- Intermediately proficient in Microsoft, Google Drive, and Adobe applications (for viewing tech drawings, combining files, making edits)
--The Director will lead product development from concept to production; this includes trending, analyzing market research and consumer insights, and creating product briefs.
--Innovation team is "revolutionary / white space" and develops concepts 2-3 years out; this person's team picks up closer to commercialization and is focused on "evolutionary" change (new product to Wilton and consumer) and "cosmetic" change (ie packaging & line extensions).
--In addition to being an extremely creative problem solver, you must also be strong with financials (this person will manage their own P&L and budget).
--This role is heavily focused on leadership of the team; will also work collaboratively with other Design Directors (there are 3 total as stated aboveâ€¦and another Director of Innovation) and cross-functionally
--There are 3 direct reports (Product Design Managers â€“ product development). They are talented people, but under the past structure were â€œtold what to doâ€. Under the new structure, the company is seeking someone who can be a strong mentor and develop strong thinkers and problem-solvers. The team must know how to use analytic info and apply it to solving problems and making products compelling to consumers, at a good price point, and feeling first-to-market.
--The company has restructured and is moving to a more sophisticated environment (similar to classic CPG); while theyâ€™re a smaller company, the people that will thrive there arenâ€™t the â€œhands-on in many areasâ€ people, but the people whoâ€™ve had ownership / responsibility of product lines and have had a â€œdeep diveâ€.