Director of Safety Travel / Tourism
Oversee safety, training, and compliance of the company's services in California. The key objectives are to maximize efficiencies, improve service levels, while focusing on staff development, and the establishment of process and procedure.
• Lead the Training, Safety and Compliance teams for the company, in a proactive, collaborative, efficient manner, achieving measurable and documented improvement each quarter.
• Ensure Company and contract compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local regulations.
• Develop, enact, expand, and enforce safety and compliance programs to ensure they meet the needs of the Company and fulfill all necessary regulatory requirements.
• Lead accident/incident investigations as necessary to compile accurate information and perform detailed analysis to determine cause and take appropriate actions to mitigate future risks.
• Plan, develop, and implement training programs for all safety sensitive positions within the Company, including drivers and the members of management who supervise employees working in a safety sensitive function. This includes driver accident re-training.
• Act as a liaison with external legal and regulatory personnel and agencies.
• Oversee Training Departments in California.
• Ongoing review, interpretation, communication, and implementation of federal, state, and local rules & regulations.
• Ensure that related record keeping and reporting requirements are exceeded and timely.
• Prepare and maintain all required manuals, programs, procedures, and standards for Company operation as it relates to safety and compliance.
• In collaboration with the VP of Operations, establish operational standards for fleet safety, personal injuries, and DOT compliance.
• Together with Operations and HR develop standards regarding the sourcing, hiring, and training of all Company employees who will work in a driver and/or safety sensitive function.
• Perform on-board evaluations and trail checks.
• Create process to ensure evaluation of all routing for safety and efficiency.
• Travel as frequently as necessary to field locations to appropriately audit, assess, and monitor the execution and effectiveness of all safety and compliance.
• Develop, compile, and distribute detailed, relevant reporting regarding key safety and compliance metrics.
• Function as the internal safety and compliance expert that is a resource for all members of the Company.
• Develop and facilitate monthly safety meetings with clearly defined goals for participants.
• Oversee CHP, DOT, DOD and TSX and School District Inspections.
• Oversee the implementation of the electronic logging system.
• Maintain and train drivers on Compliance Paperwork, Logs, DVIRS, Bus Checkout
Sheet, accident reporting, and log in accidents into VMS system.
• Experience implementing a performance management system that is aligned with our
mission, strategic plan, and company culture.
• Demonstrated experience motivating and managing staff that creates a positive and
productive work environment, models staff behavior, creates a sense of shared credit for
accomplishments, and shared responsibility for challenges or failures.
• In-depth understanding of essential personnel management theories.
• Adheres to laws, regulations and highest ethical standards; creates awareness of ethical
issues and encourages a transparent culture.
• Creates a work environment in which learning is continuous and staff feels comfortable
taking a degree of measured risk to help the company meet its goals.
• Successful personal approach to collaboration including external and internal cross-team and cross-organizational collaboration.
• Ability to comply with all Department of Transportation (DOT), governmental regulations, policies, and standards.
• Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
• Must be both an independent thinker and a team player.
• Must have strong problem-solving and decision-making skills.
• Excellent communication (both verbal and written) and interpersonal skills.
• Willingness to work the hours necessary to meet deadlines.
• A proven ability to achieve results.
• Flexible and able to “roll with the punches.”
• Proficiency with Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Office (i.e., Word, Excel) required.
• Proficiency in Google Suite (i.e., Gmail; Google Drive; Google Documents; Google